Friday, January 05, 2007

a moment of humbling recognition.

we are so fortunate to be able to feel entitled to anything simply because of our luck to be Americans and Westerners.

i received a new year's card from the lady who was our lab tech for 2 years. she and her family are back in sri lanka now. the kids are trying to adjust to being home and going to school in that country for the first time since birth. they've just recovered from dengue fever. most of their short life (the eldest is 9) was spent in australia or the US. she can't find a job working in a lab.

and i whine about my life.

i think the theme of the year will have to be discipline in all things.

2 comments:

b rendan said...

Wow! We stand ignorant so much of the time of so many things, as Americans.

Templeton said...

I think of that a lot when I complain abtou my job which really isn't that bad. I still complain though. Life coudl always be better. But it could always be much worse.